Growing Rich Everyday... My Weblog

Enrich yourself by finding and enjoying the simple and finer things in the daily humdrum of life...




Over the last month, I have been reading the book "This I Believe" by Jay Allison and Dan Gediman. I would say this has been the most remarkable book I have read so far, that has shaken me enough to search and be aware of my own beliefs, thoughts and convictions. "This I Believe" started as a National Public Radio series in the 1950s. It was a national media project engaging people in writing, sharing, and discussing the core values and beliefs that guide their daily lives. It is now an international project and calls for people to contribute their essays. Everyone was and is still invited to share their beliefs ; people from all walks of life - ordinary , extraordinary, scientists, artists, teachers, poets, playwrights, politicians, industrialists, war veterans, immigrants as well as the most common man living right down the end of the block.

If one were to ask about one's belief's , it is very easy to state in negative terms.."I don't believe in this", "I do not like that.." etc. But to come up with what you truly believe in and stating your convictions in positive terms is a daunting task. Each of the beliefs is extraordinary. People spoke about responsibility, integrity, patriotism, courage, freedom, forgiveness. But the most common belief that almost all of them held was that of love, empathy and compassion, goodness and kindness guiding their lives through thick and thin.

"This I Believe" project now has a dedicated website which archives all the essays that have been aired on the radio so far.

1 comments

  1. svkum  

    Actually our opinions,perceptions,analysing the situations, and events and peoples
    ARE BASED ON OUR BELIEF SYSTEM, BUILT UP FROM CHILDHOOD.
    One has to cleanse this beliefs which rests and controls ourselves,
    and start from ZERO ,
    Then we can see the thing cleary and very transperently.like a chlild who is free from any preconditioning on him/her.

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)